Sign In

Remember Me

Or Login Using

Puppy Help

Home Forums Dog Lovers Forum Puppies Puppy Help

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Georgina Lees-Smith 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Amanda Fawcett
    Participant

The Puppy Help forum is where dog lovers discuss puppies for sale, locating dog breeders, and how to choose the perfect puppy.

Sarah Mckenzie
    Participant

My pup is 13 weeks old and will not pee outside no matter how long hes out for! Or where it is grass or concrete.

Diane Geggis
    Participant

The idea behind potty training is to “catch your puppy doing the right thing and to reward that behavior.
    In this case, you need to take him outside when you know he has to pee. And when he does you should reward him.

When does he have to pee? After waking from a nap, after eating, after eating, after playing.
    You have many opportunities. When you take him out, bring him to the place you want him to pee and wait quietly. When he pees, you can tell him ” good job” and then play with him. That way he will associate peeing with having fun. Try not to bring him right in after peeing because he will associate peeing with end of fun.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Off The Leash
    Keymaster

Diane, thanks for the advise. Sounds like very good advise

Becky Smith
    Participant

Also make sure you go out with your puppy, don’t just shove them out the door and hope for the best because that will stress them into just wanting to go back indoors to be with you. Whatever the weather, be outside with your pup.

Anonymous

As dogs are also stimulated to toilet by scent, it might help to mark with his scent the areas you want him to use. If he pees or poops on newspaper (or the floor!) indoors, can you take the newspaper or other hard evidence outside and leave it for a while in the area of your garden you want him to use?

Diane Geggis
    Participant

One thing I forgot to mention, Is NEVER punish your dog for going in the wrong place.
    It will only cause him to “hide” that he/she is going in the wrong place. Just ignore the issue and clean it up promptly.

I used Natures Miracle as a cleaner for accident spots, even on hard surfaces like tile as the scent stays until it is neutralized. I believe they make a rug shampoo so that if you have had many accidents you can clean up the whole rug and start fresh.

The other thing is that you need to understand the physical limitations of the puppy bladder. The “rule of thumb” is they can hold it for no longer than their age in months in hours plus 1. This equates to 3 hours max for an 8 week old puppy. As the puppy ages, I would increase the time by 30 minutes every 2 weeks. That way your puppy doesn’t feel like one day he has to wait 3 hours and then wham the next day he has to wait 4. I was extremely successful with my dog using this method. When we were not home, we would crate him. So it was not only important for his physical development but he also needed the play time and interaction for good mental development.

I would use these guidelines for an older dog if I didn’t know what their level of bladder strength is. The muscles that control the bowels and bladder have to be developed and if an older dog was never taught to “hold it” he/she may not have the muscle strength to hold it for long.

Georgina Lees-Smith
    Participant

I have just launched the seven day puppy survival guide. It’s a week long course covering every aspect of owning a puppy. It’s only 5 pounds. You get freebies, discounts, schedules and step by step video guides. It’s easy to follow and fun for the family.

Go to: http://www.simplybehaviour.com

I write many articles and give many seminars on training and behaviour.

Hope this helps.

George xxx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.