Sign In

Remember Me

Or Login Using

Grooming Your Dog

Home Forums Dog Lovers Forum Dog Grooming Grooming Your Dog

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anna Rogers 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Off The Leash
    Keymaster

Why is it so important to groom your dog?

Becky Smith
    Participant

I’m a former dog groomer, have 20 years experience. I no longer groom for a living but I own miniature poodles so groom regularly. Happy to help with grooming queries wherever I can.

Anonymous

Keeps her coat clean and skin healthy.
    Makes her look MUCH prettier, and smell MUCH better!!
    Gives me a chance to examine her skin and body generally for anything that shouldn’t be there.
    Bonding experience between human and dog.

But the sbove refers to brushing and clipping etc. I don’t normally bath her as she swims in either the river or the sea most days and that keeps her coat clean. If she needs a clean-up, I put her under a warm shower and just use the water. A real bath, with shampoo, is a rare event – usually only if she has rolled in something awful!

Diane Geggis
    Participant

I have a labradoodle, which has a hair coat, and he needs regular grooming. Generally, I provide regular brushing and take him for bathing and clipping about every three months. I used to bath him myself until I hurt my back.

Regularly checking him over allows me to “discover” things I wouldn’t normally catch.
    When he was just a puppy, I would take him to the groomers just to play. I wanted him to have a fun experience so that he wouldn’t dislike the process. I also made his brushing sessions fun with treats and toys and kept the sessions short.
    I think it made a difference.

Mary Bull
    Participant

Grooming is a chance to give the dog a thorough check over, skin condition; parasites; minor cuts or abrasions, check ears nails etc. done regularly is a bonding and pleasurable experience for both dog and owner. Which means that in the event of a problem it is picked up early and the dog is not distressed by an unusual situation.
    As a dog groomer for nearly 50 years now, I also know that in my professional capacity I have been able to tell owners of minor problems like tapeworm and some major ones that have needed drastic treatments at the vets.

Anna Rogers
    Participant

Hi, I’m a groomer, and there are many reasons why regular grooming is not just important but due to recent UK (at least) law changes it may just save your pet. Grooming is something that is vitel to the skin as well as the fur. During grooming the groomer is able to get a close look at the skin and changes, rashes, and abnormalities are spotted much earlier. Taking your babe to a groomer as early as possible will help introduce them to all the new noises and procedures that grooming entails and often the groomer will be able to offer advice on how to continue this at home. Having a dog that is comfortable with the grooming process and being handled by a different person will encourage a relaxed dog, too many dogs i see are coming in matted and not used to the process for these dogs the kindest thing to do is a shave down and assist the owner in the proper care of the coat. Often too these dogs are well aware of knots and mats and are of course reluctant to allow the removal as it is painful. Imagine going to your hairdresser not having brushed your hair for several months and the hairdresser trying to comb the hot mess through. In a salon or at home regular grooming will help and a happy dog is not one who snaps at a brush but who brings the brush to you x

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Anna Rogers.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.